Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus is a surface applied mixed corrosion inhibitor, designed for use as an impregnation of steel reinforced concrete.
Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus is based on organic compounds. Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus penetrates the concrete and forms a protective monomolecular layer on the surface of the reinforcing steel. Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus both delays the start of corrosion and reduces the corrosion rate. Corrosion protection with Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus increases the service and maintenance life cycles by up to 15 years when used as a part of a complete Sika Concrete Repair and Protection System.
- For the corrosion protection of steel reinforced concrete structures above and below the ground
- As a corrosion control treatment for undamaged reinforced concrete where reinforcing steel is corroding, or is at risk from corrosion due to the effects of carbonated or chloride contaminated concrete
- Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus is especially suitable for extending the service life of aesthetically valuable fair-faced concrete surfaces such as historic structures
CHARACTERISTICS AND ADVANTAGES
- Suitable for method 11.3 (applying inhibitor to the concrete) defined by EN 1504-9 for Principle 11 (anodic control)
- Does not change the appearance of the concrete structure
- Does not alter the water vapour diffusion properties of concrete
- Long term protection and durability
- Can be applied to the surface of existing repairs and to surrounding areas to
- Prevent the development of incipient anodes
- Protects both, cathodic (principle 9) and anodic (principle 11) zones of reinforcing steel
- Can be applied where other repair/prevention options are not viable
- Economic extension of the service life of reinforced concrete structures
- Easy, economical application, renewable
- Comply with GHS/CLP regulation
- Can be used as part of a simple yet effective concrete repair and protection system
- Penetration depth can be tested on site using the Sika “Qualitative Analysis Test” – refer to your local Technical Service Department for details
Transparent liquid, colourless to slightly yellowish
20 lt pail
205 lt drum
Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus is supplied ready for use and must not be diluted. Do not shake the material prior to use.
Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus shall be applied to saturation by brush, roller, low pressure or airless spray equipment.
After the application of the last coat, as soon as the surface become mat, do a low pressure water cleaning (water hose).
The day after application, the treated surfaces shall be cleaned by pressure washing (~ 10 MPa – 100 bars) to remove any traces of soluble salts that may have deposit at the surface.
Number of coats:
This is dependent on the porosity and moisture content of the substrate and the weather conditions.
Vertical surfaces: Normally, 2 to 3 coats are necessary to achieve the required consumption. In case of dense concrete, additional coats may be required.
Horizontal Surfaces: Saturate surface by 1-2 coats, take care to avoid ponding.
Waiting time between coats: This is dependent on the porosity of the concrete and the weather conditions, normally 1-6 hours. Allow the surface to dry out between coats to a matt damp appearance.
If the application is carried out as described above, no further treatment is required before over-coating with Sikagard® hydrophobic impregnations, Sikagard® breathable coatings or Sikafloor® products (Refer to appropriate Product Data Sheet for application details)
If non Sika coatings are to be applied, please contact the manufacturers technical department for confirmation of compatibility with Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus or undertake compatibility and adhesion site trials.
When Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus is used within a patch repair or before a cementitious overlay, Sika repair or overlay system can be used. Standard preparation (pre-wetting) shall be applied.
When using a smoothing coat/pore filler over surface treated with Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus, products such as SikaTop®-121, Sikagard®-720 EpoCem®, Sika MonoTop®-107, SikaTop®-Seal 107, Sika MonoTop®-723 N, etc. can be used. Cementitious levelling mortars shall only be used if there is a well prepared open textured surface that is completely cleaned of residue.
If other Sika cement based products are to be used, site trials are recommended to confirm preparation and suitability.
If non Sika cement based products are to be used, please contact the manufacturer technical department for confirmation of compatibility with Sika® FerroGard®-903 Plus or undertake compatibility and adhesion site trials.
Sika FerroGard-903 Plus and Safety Data Sheets